Flu Season Is Here
We want to make sure all OYA youth remain healthy. That’s why we will offer flu shots to all youth in OYA custody this fall.
Getting vaccinated will be particularly important this year because the flu will be spreading at the same time as COVID-19. They can be hard to tell apart because the symptoms are similar. Further, it is possible to get the flu and COVID-19 at the same time.
- For youth in secure facilities: Our Health Services staff will offer flu shots to youth on all living units. We do this every year.
- For youth in the community: The Oregon Health Authority plans to hire a contractor to offer shots to all youth in OYA placements and to program staff and foster and proctor families. As an alternative, our youths’ juvenile parole and probation officers (JPPOs) can help them find a place nearby that’s offering flu shots.
Protect Yourself from the Flu
Getting a flu shot is a really important way to protect yourself, your family, and your community from the flu. In addition, the same things you’re doing now to prevent COVID-19 are also effective for preventing the flu:
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Wear your face covering.
- Stay distant from others when possible.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Disinfect frequently-touched surfaces.
Wear Your Face Covering
Wearing a face covering or mask is a really effective way to prevent spreading the flu – and COVID-19. If you don’t wear one, you are at a much higher risk of coming down with either one, or passing them to someone else.